Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Elmo is Made of Rainbows

The whole purpose behind my taking the Wilton Cake Decorating classes was so that I could make awesome cakes for my daughter, Josie. She is the biggest Sesame Street fan you've ever met so it was appropriate for her to have an Elmo cake for her third birthday.

I had seen a friend of mine post pictures of rainbow cupcakes that she had made for St. Patrick's Day and thought that concept would be neat for Josie's cake. I started with a WHITE cake recipe. Only a white cake will do for this because it won't affect the colors of the food coloring used to dye the batter. Each cake pan (I made two Elmo's) used 6 cups of batter. So, I separated each of the 6 cups into separate bowls, dyed them each a different color (red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple) and poured them into the pan and swirled.



And...voila! What a neat design, eh?


The next step was filling and crumb-coating the cakes.


And then I began to work on the colors. Getting that red took quite a bit of work and entire bottle of food coloring!


It's beginning to look a lot like...
ELMO!!!!

The guests at Josie's party were certainly surprised to see how colorful Elmo was inside!


And you can't forget about the goody-bags!!!

What a fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment