Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Not to be Mistaken with Buzz Aldrin

So at Josie's party I was asked to do a Buzz Lightyear cake for one of her friends' birthdays. He was having a Toy Story themed-party and this was going to fit in perfectly.

Making the cake was pretty much the same as making the Elmo cake in terms of the assembly and crumb coating. However, unlike the Elmo cake, the Buzz Lightyear cake itself was a mirror image of the picture that was included in the pan. This made decorating poor Buzz a little challenging. Luckily, my brother helped me out and scanned in the Buzz image that came with the cake pan and reversed it so that I could successfully complete the cake.

Even doing the outlining was a challenge. I'm definitely not an artist, but my husband is. Danny was able to etch in the buttercream with a toothpick and I went over it with black buttercream and continued on with decorating the rest. This was a true group effort.


But I think Buzz turned out great!

And there were no complaints from the cute birthday boy!

This cake was a chocolate and buttercream cake. I used Ina Garten's "Beatty's Chocolate Cake" recipe which is by FAR the BEST chocolate cake I've ever had.


No comments:

Post a Comment