Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Grandma Dorothy's 90th Birthday Cake

My Grandma, who has become one my greatest fans, turned 90 this summer. Our family had a surprise party for her and I was asked to make the cake. I wanted something a little over-the-top for her, but yet something classy and elegant. I came across the "Layered In Luxury" cake on Wilton.com and knew this was the cake for Grandma.

The top tier is chocolate cake with white buttercream filling and the bottom tier is butter cake with raspberry preserves and raspberry buttercream filling.


The flowers were all made from gum paste and took a considerable amount of time. It was fun, but it took WAY longer than I had expected so I'm happy I started on them a few days before the cake was due.


Overall, I liked how the cake turned out and there was plenty of it for the 50-some guests who came to celebrate with my Grandma.


No comments:

Post a Comment