Monday, October 24, 2011

Pink Pumpkin Cake!

Anne requested a cake for her daughter, Eve's, 1st birthday. She wanted a cake in the shape of a pink pumpkin. I suggested we do a pumpkin cake in the shape of a pumpkin and she thought the idea was a good one. I had a FANTASTIC recipe that I've made once before and still daydream about it. It's a delicious pumpkin cake with a whipped cream and brown sugar frosting. Super moist and super light!

Now, getting the cake into the shape of a pumpkin...that's where I was stumped...but my good cake-decorating friend, Heidi, had done one before and blew my mind when she said you just use two bundt pans, one inverted on top of the other. Duh. (As an aside, almost everything Heidi tells me leads to this response. She's so wise. And thank you again, Heidi!)

Baking the cakes was a cinch and my house smelled absolutely divine. Once the cakes were cooled, I FILLED them with the whipped cream. If I didn't do this, the frosting to cake ratio would have been too dismal.

Added the top tier.




I filled the inside with rice krispie treat to maintain its' shape.



And then I crumb-coated with more whipped cream. I could have stopped right here and the cake was delicious!


But Anne requested a pink pumpkin and a pink pumpkin is what she got!




I made the pumpkin leaves out of gum paste. I used some pink luster dust to add some dimension and shading and added the pink sparkles, per her request.



I hope that Eve had a most excellent 1st birthday party!

1 comment:

  1. Ann, I’ve been meaning to write all week. The cake was Awesome! Everyone just thought it was the coolest cake, and the pumpkin was so good, and that mousse filling was so good. And it fed so many! Just wanted to say thank you!!
    - Anne

    ReplyDelete