Sunday, November 14, 2010

Dave Schmave

In a couple of days, my brother-in-law will be celebrating his birthday. He shares his birthday with Mickey Mouse. Coincidence? Anyway, my parents-in-law were in town this weekend and it just seemed "right" to celebrate his birthday a little early while they were here. I cooked up an early Thanksgiving meal - because, why not?! - and also baked up a quick cake for the occasion.

Dave absolutely adores blueberries (as does his dad...coincidence?) and I came across a recipe for a blueberry cake with lemon curd icing. I thought I'd give it a whirl. Here are the cakes as they came out of the oven:


I used frozen organic blueberries and covered them with a smidge of flour before gently folding them into the batter. That way, the blueberries wouldn't just sink to the bottom of the pan. Instead, they're nicely distributed. (You can do that when adding chocolate chips or nuts to batters as well.)



I topped the cake with additional fresh organic blueberries and created a border on the top and bottom. Yummy! This one sure was a delicious experiment and one I'd like to do again. Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment