Saturday, February 12, 2011

Robin's Mosaic Cake

Oh, I've known Robin for a very long time indeed. She was one of my very first friends in high school. It was a welcomed friendship as I had just moved from Neenah and knew only the sweet girls in my neighborhood who took me under their wings. (Shout out to you Gina, Dena, Lisa and Emily!) Robin was in two or three of my classes freshman year and we sat next to each other and that's where our adventure began.


Through high school, college, our weddings and beyond, Robin and I remain close friends to this day. She happens to be one of the most talented people I know. Her mosaic designs are out of this world and I'm fortunate enough to have a few of her great pieces of work.


Look at the detail on this beautiful planter! I've never seen any mosiac work more detailed than this.


And this votive candle holder...seriously.

She also has a fantastic ability to capture wonderful images with her camera. A great eye indeed. She's taken my daughter's portraits the last two years and I still just look at them with great amazement and admiration.



So, when Robin's birthday was approaching, I was trying to find the perfect cake for her. She chose the flavor: Chocolate cake with chocolate ganache and caramel filling. Good choice. But how to decorate it?

A few months ago, my brother made a logo for Robin. (Consequently, my brother also made my Cake Mama logo, which I love.) I saw the logo and knew that I would somehow incorporate that into a cake design.

The fact that Robin chose a chocolate cake totally helped me out. But I do love the way it turned out. A mosaic cake.



After putting this one together and working on it for what seemed like hours, I have a great appreciation for Robin's talent. Even more than I had before, if that's even possible. You absolutely have to check out some more of Robin's work. You'll be AMAZED!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Robin-Downing-Photography/346884155505

Happy Birthday, Robin! I look forward to celebrating with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment