Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Alaskan Iceberg Wedding Cake

Rachel is definitely the exception to my rule about wedding cakes.  I've sort of ruled them out to focus on birthday cakes and other special occasion cakes.  Wedding cakes usually require a significant amount of space and time of which I am limited.  I applaud my fellow cake people who frequently make wedding cakes.  It's not an easy task and the patience required for such accomplishments is to be applauded.  

Soooooo, getting to this cake.  This cake is the exception.  A cake baking friend of mine, Kari, had an order for this very wedding cake and then her house had a fire.  A bad one.  Her kitchen was gone.  She called me requesting back-up support and I was happy to step in.  A cake needed to be made, wedding cake or not I was in!  So, Kari referred Rachel to me and the rest is history.

Rachel's mom was getting married and then heading out on an Alaskan Honeymoon Cruise.  She wanted a cake that would incorporate icebergs and Alaskan wildlife.  So, I tried to give her the best of both worlds.  The bottom two tiers of this cake are "Alaska" and the top tier is the iceberg.

All three cakes are chocolate-flecked cake with buttercream filling.  They are topped with homemade marshmallow fondant and lots of buttercream and gum/paste decor.  









I had a really good time with this one.  I'm sure that the wedding was absolutely beautiful and I hope that the Newlyweds are enjoying their honeymoon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment