Sunday, March 9, 2014

Icing Smiles - For AJ

Last Spring I discovered a fabulous organization called "Icing Smiles."  "Icing Smiles is a nonprofit organization that provides custom celebration cakes and other treats to families impacted by the critical illness of a child.  They understand that the simple things, like a cake, are luxuries to a family battling illness.  Their goal is to create a custom cake for the ill child, or their sibling, that provides a temporary escape from worry and creates a positive memory during a difficult time."

As soon as I discovered the organization, I signed up to become a baker, or "Sugar Angel."  I'm proud to say that I'm one of 5,000 Sugar Angels in the United States alone.  What a great team to be on!!

I got my "Call to Action" over a month ago, to make a cake for AJ's 15th birthday.  AJ is a wonderful big sister to two younger sisters, one of whom is critically ill.  This was a time for everyone to celebrate AJ's wonderful qualities as a sister, daughter and great friend.  I really couldn't wait to honor this young lady.  

Her mom, Stephanie, informed my that AJ loves the ocean, orcas, whales and dolphins. Her favorite colors are blue and green.  Yep!  I was super excited about this one!

I made sure she had a whale (wishing her a Happy 15th Birthday)...


 and an orca...



and a dolphin!



Lots of blues and green accented the cake.



This was a confetti cake with vanilla bean buttercream.  I had a wonderful time baking this cake and truly enjoyed the decorating process.  The colors turned out really fun!

At the pick-up time, AJ brought her friends and her sisters to come and see the cake.  THAT is always the best part.  The girls all enjoyed looking over the details and it's so great to meet such a special family!!

I hope you had a fantastic party, AJ!!!  Thanks for letting me be a part of your very special day!

Update:  Pictures from Stephanie (AJ's Mom):

 Me and AJ



Looks magical!!

1 comment:

  1. What a great thing to be a part of. Way to go sharing your time and talents!

    ReplyDelete