Sunday, January 18, 2015

A Cake For a Sister

Erin requested a cake for her Great-Aunt's birthday celebration.  This wonderful woman happens to be a Dominican Nun.  I was so honored to make a cake for such a special lady!

Per usual (with most cakes Erin orders), I was given full reign to do what I wanted, so I tested out a new piping technique for the sides of the cake.  This is ruffling is done with Tip 104.  I started on the bottom of the cake and worked my way to the top of the cake in a zig-zag motion to make the rows. I've seen this all over Pinterest, but decided to try it out myself and I love the way it looks!  



The cake is a chocolate cake with creamy vanilla buttercream.  I topped it with fondant flowers in the shape of a cross.


Here's Sister enjoying her cake.  How sweet is she?


I hope she had a wonderful birthday celebration!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment