Friday, March 18, 2011

Katie + Mike's Festival du LOVE

Nothing brings me more joy than to make a cake for a dear friend. Katie was one of the first people I met when I moved from Neenah to Hartland. I met her on the bus the first day of school freshmen year. I liked her immediately and there began our friendship, through thick and thin. :)
I was so excited to get an invite in the mail for Katie's bridal shower. It was BEAUtiful! I loved the colors, I loved the butterflies, super cute! I actually thought about the kind of cake I'd make for her, if I was asked...hoping that I would be! And sure enough! I got the email requesting a Cake Mama cake for the event. We met for lunch a few days later and I told her all about the kind of cake I'd make, but the only thing I told her about the design is that it would be based off of the invitation.

And here's the sample invitation (from http://www.polkadotdesign.com/) of which I would base Katie's cake:

I wanted to incorporate the butterfly, the word "LOVE" and all of the colors and textures. I loved the harlequin design on the back of the invite and the yellow striping on the front. I loved it all! So here's the cake I designed for Katie:

The bottom tier is a strawberry spiral cake. The top two tiers are gluten-free chocolate cakes with vanilla bean frosting. The top tier is designed to be a take-home cake for Mike and Katie to share together.



Happy shower day, Katie!! Love to you and Mike!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ann,

    Thank you so much for being such a special friend to Katie and for using your cake making talents to make her day so wonderful! You're the best AND we'll be using your talents again!

    All the best,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete