Friday, March 25, 2011

Scooby Dooby Doo!

My cake schedule these days has been pretty consistent (and may I just add that I am SO thankful for that!!). I've been averaging a cake or so a week and that's been pretty fun and incredibly manageable. Not only do I welcome the business, but doing these cakes keeps me on my game. That's more important than ever now that I'm teaching at Michael's.

For the most part, my clients give me a few weeks to a few months lead time on their cakes. I really appreciate the time because it takes time to research and brainstorm decorating ideas for each cake. Even though I really appreciate the lead time, I'm happy when I can accomodate a "last minute" order.

Earlier this week, Lorraine contacted me to make another cake for her daughter's friend Stephanie. (I did her daughter Carly's iPod/Soccer cake in December.) Lorraine and I go WAY back, so I couldn't let her down! She said that Stephanie was turning 14 and wanted a Scooby Doo cake. The colors she wanted were Orange and Purple.

So then began my research. I searched high and low for Scooby Doo cake ideas and the orange and purple cakes just didn't look "right". There's something with the color scheme that seemed a little "off" to me. So I decided there that the orange and purple colors would be used as accent colors and I went with a different color scheme for the foundation of the cake; very Mystery Machine-esque.

After the color scheme was determined, I had to figure out how to get a Scooby Doo on the cake. I decided to make a portrait of him out of gum paste and I traced the borders with an food marker. (This technique is going to come in handy with my Dr. Suess cake that I'll be working on next week - stay tuned!) I'm pretty happy with how Mr. Scooby turned out.

Here you can see the orange and purple flowers that I used to accent the cake. The entire color scheme is very Scooby Doo, right?

This Scooby Doo cake is a chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream filling. It should be delish!

Happy Birthday, Stephanie! I hope you have an amazing day!

No comments:

Post a Comment