Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Robin's Birthday

In 2009, my very talented photographer friend, Robin and I were sitting in my backyard porch talking about everything under the sun. She had her camera with her (we may have just finished a photo shoot of my daughter or something) and I remember us hearing a cute little chirping noise coming from my garden.

When we looked up, we saw a tiny young Ruby-Throated Hummingbird sitting on a wire having just finished dining in my garden: note the pollen on its beak. Robin had her camera at the ready and snapped this delightful shot to capture the moment. I thought it was brilliant! And learned that Hummingbirds actually chirp!



For Robin's birthday, I made her a chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling and chocolate buttercream frosting. (She's going to need a gallon of milk in order to wash down the chocolately goodness!!!) I wanted to pay homage to this wonderful photo and moment in time and placed a little hand-painted, gum paste hummingbird on the top, complete with [sugar] pollen and all.


Robin, I hope you are having a fabulous birthday! I can't wait to celebrate with you!


To see more of Robin's work, check out her Facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.118514935952.121143.755270952&type=3#!/pages/Robin-Downing-Photography/346884155505

No comments:

Post a Comment