Monday, July 9, 2012

Cinderella's Chocolate Mountain

Rebecca asked me to do a Cinderella cake for her daughter's birthday this weekend.  Already having a pretty large sheet cake order for a wedding due, I didn't know if I would be able to squeeze that in, but Rebecca ensured me that she just needed an 8" cake and it could be "simple."  I love simple. 

After brainstorming and looking at a bunch of cakes online, I decided to browse the toy store.  I knew I wouldn't have time to sculpt much and that's not really my thing anyway.  I am way too practical to sculpt a bunch of stuff out of gum paste or fondant because where does that go when the cake is consumed?  In the trash...or the daring might even consume it (it IS edible).  But especially for kids cakes, I really prefer toys as toppers.  

So, I was delighted when I came across a little Cinderella boutique at Amazon.com.  I thought this would be the perfect cake topper and what little girl wouldn't be DELIGHTED with seeing this on a CAKE?!!

I couldn't just leave the cake frosted plainly.  I made the time to do the basketweave to add a little more interest and I added some little pink rosettes.  My daughter loved the cake but told me I needed to add grass and she's right - it looked much better with the grass. 


This cake is a chocolate cake with raspberry buttercream filling and frosted with a chocolate frosting.  The chocolate frosting was a new recipe for me from Martha Stewart.  It had butter, cream cheese and sour cream plus over a pound of melted chocolate in it.  Seriously.  Seriously...

I hope the birthday girl had a FABULOUS birthday and felt like the little princess she was!   

No comments:

Post a Comment