Thursday, February 28, 2013

Chocolate Oscars

My husband and I usually celebrate the Academy Awards with a huge party.  I serve a buffet with tons of themed foods.  25-40 people come, eat, watch the Academy Awards and have a good time.  But, this year, I was feeling something different.  I didn't want a big party.  So, we didn't have one.  But that didn't mean that I didn't make a special treat for us to celebrate an event we love so much!



I ordered this candy mold from eBay a few months ago (honestly, before I decided we wouldn't be having a big party...I didn't want to NOT use it though!!)  The mold makes three Oscars (front and back).  



It's a time-consuming project, but actually pretty easy.  I'm no candy maker, but we all got the gist, right?


I made some in white chocolate too.  


I used Wilton's gold Color Mist spray to spray my little guys gold.

Here's how they turned out.  

I packed each one individually with ribbon I found at Ben Franklin Crafts.  I thought it looked like film!!




 I also found these little popcorn paper bags at Ben Franklin too.  LOVE it!




When I make these again (and I will), I would make them using yellow melting chocolate.  I think they'd turn out better and adding the gold spray would make them shiny and awesome.  Here's to next year!

As for decoration, these were the place settings:


The menu for the evening was typed and placed inside the napkins.  As each guest arrived, they randomly chose a best actor, supporting actor, actress and supporting actress and "followed" that actor through the night.  A special prize was given to each winner.  Like movie candy and microwaveable popcorn.


Here were the centerpieces:



We printed out movie posters of each of the nominees for Best Picture.  I glued them onto cardstock and hung them on the mantel.  I love how this turned out.  



Because I can't resist, I still had to theme our dinner that night.  Here's what we enjoyed to celebrate the evening of good film making:

Slivered Almond Playbooks 
(Slivered Almond and Cheese and Bacon on French Bread Toasts)

D'Mango Unchained
(Mango and Cucumber Lettuce Salad)

Soupa L'incoln
(Onion Soup - Soupa L'Ognion)

Breast of the Southern Wild, Les Vegetables, and Argo-ratin Potatoes
(Chicken Marsala, Roasted Vegetables and Au Gratin Potatoes)

Life of Pie
(Apple Pie)

We enjoyed Amour-etto Sours and Zero Dark Thirsty to wash all of the deliciousness down.  Mmmmm!  Happy Oscars everyone!!!



1 comment:

  1. Hello! I just love your centerpiece soo much. I am trying to make a similar one for a gala coming up soon. Could you let me know where you got the popcorn boxes from? I need about 40 of them. Also, how did you stick the flowers into the popcorn box? Any kind of help is appreciated. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete