Saturday, April 20, 2013

Turtle Power!

I remember when the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie came out.  I was in Junior High School and I saw it at the Fox River Mall movie theater, which no longer exists, by the way.  Those were the days.  And while I couldn't tell you ANY of the details of the movie, I still remember laughing and thinking they had such "silly" names. 
 
So, when Carmen asked me to do a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cake for her son Landon's birthday, I knew what she was talking about and was so excited to get started. 
 
Here I am carving a secret "clue" in the manhole cover I made.  The question is....where are manhole covers made in the US?  It was the same city in which I spent my childhood. 
 

I searched all over this house to find an item that would make the markings on the top of this fondant.  ALL.OVER.THE.HOUSE.  Finally, I found one of my daughter's spoon covers and it made the perfect "stamp". 

 

Before I give you the answer to my question, I'll tell you how I made each of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  I took some of the cake scraps from the cake and mixed them with some frosting.  Essentially, I was making very large cake pops.  I rolled them in to balls and placed them in the fridge so they'd firm up a bit. 
 



Then I took the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles logo and cut that out of gum paste using my handy dandy Exacto knife.  I love this thing!  It has a retractable blade and it's pink.  I found it in the scrapbooking section at Target.  Love it!


After they firmed up, I covered each of the cake balls (TMNT heads) in fondant and decorated them like so. 

 
I placed the TMNT logo on the top of the cake and I made little manhole covers for the side of the cake so I could include Landon's name.  Kids love to see their name on a cake!!!
 
 
I'm so sad I didn't get a picture, but Landon came to pick up his cake with his mom.  I usually don't get to see the excitement on the child's face when they see their cake, but I did with Landon and it was priceless!  His excitement made me feel so good!
 
Okay, back to manhole covers.  Where are they made?  In the state of Wisconsin...
 
 
Drumroll.......
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Up in the Fox Cities, my "hometown" Neenah, Wisconsin.  They're still making them too!
 
Landon, I hope your party was awesome.  Happy Birthday!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment