Sunday, April 14, 2013

Will-O-Saurus


We celebrated Will's sister's birthday just a few weeks ago and Cake Mama was back for a DINOSAUR adventure for Will's 3rd birthday!  I received this DINO-MITE invitation in the mail (personal information is blacked out so you don't stalk Will trying to get a bite of this delicious cake.)

Will's mom, my friend Kate, wanted a "cute dinosaur" cake for Will.  You know, not a cake with a Dinosaur eating a unicorn, which I DID see out there via a forward from my dad.  It exists and it is hilarious.   But we thought for Will's party, we'd keep it rated G+.  No gore, just cute.

I'm so proud of the color matching on this one!

                                        

So I made a dinosaur out of Rice Krispie treats.  The body was molded using a bowl from my dish set, and the head and neck were molded by hand.  Everything is covered in fondant and with the exception of the dowel holding the neck to the body, everything is completely edible.  And I said we'd keep the gore out of it!  Oh!  And!  I covered the dinosaur with the number 3.  Lots of 'em.    


I placed a few dowels in the cake, and the dinosaur was then placed on top of those dowels.  Rice Krispie treats are a little lighter than cake, but I wanted to make sure that he didn't sink into the cake.  Again, we're trying to keep it "cute".  









Keeping with the invitation's theme, I cut out these dinosaur footprints and placed Will's name in them.  The back of the cake has the word "Dino-mite" in dinosaur footprints.  

                                         

Kate also requested cupcakes with dinosaur "spikes" on them.  I have to admit, I struggled with this one.  I made the first half of the cupcakes green and when I uses the large leaf tip to make the spikes, I thought the cupcakes just looked like a prehistoric fern or something.  When I whipped up the orange frosting and made smaller spikes, I think it looked more the way I had envisioned it.  But I think the color combination was really striking!


Here's the cake at its final destination.


And here are the cupcakes.


I was teaching today and therefore had to miss Will's birthday party.  I heard it was a blast and am so thankful I got to be a part of Will's special day!  Happy Birthday, Buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment