Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Evan's John Deere Cake

Chelsie and I go WAY back.  Back to Evan's Baptism where I made his first cake.  It must have been a good one, because I received the honor of making Evan's 1st birthday cake and cupcakes.  (Seriously - THIS IS a huge honor!!!)  This last week, Evan turned TWO and I was asked to make his 2nd birthday cake.  Woo hoo!!  Chelsie is incredibly fun to bake for because she likes trying new things!  And this cake she actually gave me free reign on flavor.  I mean, I struggled a little because how many flavor combinations are out there, right?!!  But she did offer that she likes fruity flavors and as soon as she offered that, the deal was sealed.  I'd make a strawberry spiral cake for Evan.  

This.Was.Going.To.Be.Good.

So here's the outside of the cake.  Evan's party had a John Deere theme and I had fun with the green and gold.  






I found the tractor at Amazon.com and thought it was a perfect match for the cake.  Also, Evan would be able to play with it, and that's the most important part.  


Here's the cake at the final destination.  Chelsie has the food items adorably themed for the party.


And when they cut into the cake, here's what they found.  Layers going vertically!  Hee hee!!!  This was a vanilla sponge cake with strawberry preserves and a very light strawberry buttercream filling.



Can I tell you how I did it?  Yep.  Will I?  Not yet.  I didn't take pictures of the process unfortunately.  Next person who orders this one will have a tutorial.  I promise.  :)  In the meantime, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, EVAN!!!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment